Monday, September 30, 2013

E-mail 09/30/2013


Familia,
Well not much has happened this week, we had a zone meeting with the mission pres. Thursday.  The mission pres. wife chastised us about eating better and better hygiene, so me and my companion worked on buying better food. If you do it right, it costs about the same, amazing isn´t it.  Oh if you´re wondering how my language is coming, well if I compare it with another Elder here that has been here the same time in the mission as me, well he's already fluent, so that would put my Spanish at bad, but he learned some Spanish before the mission.  But after the meeting with the Mission pres. I was chatting with him and he asked how much time I had in the field, so I told him about four and a half months, he had a shocked look on his face and said that I spoke really well for such a short time.  Other then that it´s really hard to tell progress because it comes over time.  I can say I can speak Spanish, but it´s still a strain to say what I want.  Well for example I gave a talk in sacrament meeting this week about obra misional (missionary work) but when I asked a member if they understood what I said, well she said she understood a little, but part of the problem was their mic wasn´t made for someone tall, so it wasn´t picking up my voice really well and she had to deal with two of her boys. My companion said he understood the beginning but then stopped listening after about half way through, so he wasn´t much help. Maybe some of the people sitting in the front rows got something out of my talk.

I hope you all are exited for General Conference because I am, although I might not be able to watch it in English, maybe next time :(

I thought I might explain a little about the buses here.  So their are two different types of buses here, one is called a ''autobus'' but it is pronounced different then English, (just ask the missionary from Mexico how to say it).  And the other is ''camion''.  So a camion is a bus for a city, it just drives around picking up people, there´s no bus stops you just raise your hand as it passes by to get on, it costs seis pasos to ride (about 50 cents).  There's about 50 routes in Aguascalientes, here in Río Grande there are about 5 routes.  As for the Autobus, it is a bus I like a lot better, it goes though cities, so when their is a chance, we take these buses to get to our area, but since our meetings for the district and zone are in Fresnillo we have to take this bus to get there. It costs about 70 pesos to get to Fresnillo, but the seats are really nice, they are like the airplane seats that lean back, so I like to take this time to sleep, but when I can´t sleep I´ll read something, because it takes an hour to get to Fresnillo.

Love you all!
Elder Durrant



I asked him:
So are you in a city or a town?  Are you on foot or on a bike?

Well they call it a colony but I would say a city, I´d say it is about the size of Manti.
As for the bikes, well we talked with the zone leaders and they said that we could either have bikes or bring in another set of missionaries.  If we chose the bikes we still might not get them, so we chose to bring in more missionaries.  We are preparing the area and when the next changes comes in 4 weeks they will come too.

No comments:

Post a Comment